Sinhala Dictionary definitions for yard
yard 🔊 /jɑˈɹd/
yard : යාරය
yard : අඩි තුනේ මිම්ම
yard : සෙණ්ඩුවාලුව
yard : අංගනය
- A rod; a stick; a staff.
- A branch; a twig.
- A long piece of timber, as a rafter, etc.
- A measure of length, equaling three feet, or thirty-six inches, being the standard of English and American measure.
- The penis.
- A long piece of timber, nearly cylindrical, tapering toward the ends, and designed to support and extend a square sail. A yard is usually hung by the center to the mast. See Illust. of Ship.
- An inclosure; usually, a small inclosed place in front of, or around, a house or barn; as, a courtyard; a cowyard; a barnyard.
- An inclosure within which any work or business is carried on; as, a dockyard; a shipyard.
Transitive verb. To confine (cattle) to the yard; to shut up, or keep, in a yard; as, to yard cows.