Sinhala Dictionary definitions for wax
wax 🔊 /wæˈks/
wax : ඉටි තවරනවා
wax : වැඩි වෙනවා
wax : ලාකඩ
wax : කන්මැලියම්
wax : යම්කිසි තත්ත්වයකට පැමිණෙනවා
wax : කෝපය
wax : රක්ත
wax : ඉටි
wax : ලාකඩ තවරනවා
wax : මී ඉටි
- To increase in size; to grow bigger; to become larger or fuller; -- opposed to wane.
- To pass from one state to another; to become; to grow; as, to wax strong; to wax warmer or colder; to wax feeble; to wax old; to wax worse and worse.
- A fatty, solid substance, produced by bees, and employed by them in the construction of their comb; -- usually called beeswax. It is first excreted, from a row of pouches along their sides, in the form of scales, which, being masticated and mixed with saliva, become whitened and tenacious. Its natural color is pale or dull yellow.
- Hence, any substance resembling beeswax in consistency or appearance.
- Cerumen, or earwax.
- A waxlike composition used for uniting surfaces, for excluding air, and for other purposes; as, sealing wax, grafting wax, etching wax, etc.
- A waxlike composition used by shoemakers for rubbing their thread.
- A substance similar to beeswax, secreted by several species of scale insects, as the Chinese wax. See Wax insect, below.
- A waxlike product secreted by certain plants. See Vegetable wax, under Vegetable.
- A substance, somewhat resembling wax, found in connection with certain deposits of rock salt and coal; -- called also mineral wax, and ozocerite.
- Thick sirup made by boiling down the sap of the sugar maple, and then cooling.
Transitive verb. To smear or rub with wax; to treat with wax; as, to wax a thread or a table.