Sinhala Dictionary definitions for tub
tub 🔊 /tʌˈb/
tub : ඔරුව
tub : බෝට්ටුව
tub : බාල්දිය
- An open wooden vessel formed with staves, bottom, and hoops; a kind of short cask, half barrel, or firkin, usually with but one head, -- used for various purposes.
- The amount which a tub contains, as a measure of quantity; as, a tub of butter; a tub of camphor, which is about 1 cwt., etc.
- Any structure shaped like a tub: as, a certain old form of pulpit; a short, broad boat, etc., -- often used jocosely or opprobriously.
- A sweating in a tub; a tub fast.
- A small cask; as, a tub of gin.
- A box or bucket in which coal or ore is sent up a shaft; -- so called by miners.
Transitive verb. To plant or set in a tub; as, to tub a plant.
i. To make use of a bathing tub; to lie or be in a bath; to bathe.