Sinhala Dictionary definitions for ton
ton 🔊 /tʌˈn/
ton : ටොනය
ton : ටොන්
Plural. of Toe.
- The common tunny, or house mackerel.
- The prevailing fashion or mode; vogue; as, things of ton.
- A measure of weight or quantity.
- The weight of twenty hundredweight.
- Forty cubic feet of space, being the unit of measurement of the burden, or carrying capacity, of a vessel; as a vessel of 300 tons burden.
- A certain weight or quantity of merchandise, with reference to transportation as freight; as, six hundred weight of ship bread in casks, seven hundred weight in bags, eight hundred weight in bulk; ten bushels of potatoes; eight sacks, or ten barrels, of flour; forty cubic feet of rough, or fifty cubic feet of hewn, timber, etc.