Sinhala Dictionary definitions for rib
rib 🔊 /ɹɪˈb/
rib : ඉළඇටය
rib : පරාළය
rib : පාර්ශුකාව
rib : නාරටිය
rib : ඉලය
rib : වැරකඩ
rib : පර්ශුව
rib : මහානාරටීය
- One of the curved bones attached to the vertebral column and supporting the lateral walls of the thorax.
- That which resembles a rib in form or use.
- One of the timbers, or bars of iron or steel, that branch outward and upward from the keel, to support the skin or planking, and give shape and strength to the vessel.
- A ridge, fin, or wing, as on a plate, cylinder, beam, etc., to strengthen or stiffen it.
- One of the rods on which the cover of an umbrella is extended.
- A prominent line or ridge, as in cloth.
- A longitudinal strip of metal uniting the barrels of a double-barreled gun.
- The chief nerve, or one of the chief nerves, of a leaf.
- Any longitudinal ridge in a plant.
- In Gothic vaulting, one of the primary members of the vault. These are strong arches, meeting and crossing one another, dividing the whole space into triangles, which are then filled by vaulted construction of lighter material. Hence, an imitation of one of these in wood, plaster, or the like.
- A projecting mold, or group of moldings, forming with others a pattern, as on a ceiling, ornamental door, or the like.
- Solid coal on the side of a gallery; solid ore in a vein.
- An elongated pillar of ore or coal left as a support.
- A wife; -- in allusion to Eve, as made out of Adam's rib.
- To furnish with ribs; to form with rising lines and channels; as, to rib cloth.
- To inclose, as with ribs, and protect; to shut in.