Sinhala Dictionary definitions for off
off 🔊 /ɔˈf/
off : වහනවා
off : දුරට
off : අප
off : වෙතින්
off : අහක
off : අහකට
off : එහා
off : සිට
off : ඈතට
off : ඈත
off : ඉවතට
off : ඉවත
off : දුර
- In a general sense, denoting from or away from; as:
- Denoting distance or separation; as, the house is a mile off.
- Denoting the action of removing or separating; separation; as, to take off the hat or cloak; to cut off, to pare off, to clip off, to peel off, to tear off, to march off, to fly off, and the like.
- Denoting a leaving, abandonment, departure, abatement, interruption, or remission; as, the fever goes off; the pain goes off; the game is off; all bets are off.
- Denoting a different direction; not on or towards: away; as, to look off.
- Denoting opposition or negation.
Interjection. Away; begone; -- a command to depart.
prep. Not on; away from; as, to be off one's legs or off the bed; two miles off the shore.
- On the farther side; most distant; on the side of an animal or a team farthest from the driver when he is on foot; in the United States, the right side; as, the off horse or ox in a team, in distinction from the nigh or near horse or ox; the off leg.
- Designating a time when one is not strictly attentive to business or affairs, or is absent from his post, and, hence, a time when affairs are not urgent; as, he took an off day for fishing: an off year in politics.
Noun. The side of the field that is on the right of the wicket keeper.