Sinhala Dictionary definitions for jar
jar 🔊 /ʤɑˈɹ/
jar : කලස
jar : ගැස්සීම
jar : බුජම
jar : ජාඩිය
jar : එකිනෙකට විරුඬ වෙනවා
jar : බුදම
jar : රිද්දනවා
jar : බරණිය
jar : ජාරුව
jar : පොරය
jar : සරාව
- A turNoun. [Only in phrase.]
- A deep, broad-mouthed vessel of earthenware or glass, for holding fruit, preserves, etc., or for ornamental purposes; as, a jar of honey; a rose jar.
- The measure of what is contained in a jar; as, a jar of oil; a jar of preserves.
- A rattling, tremulous vibration or shock; a shake; a harsh sound; a discord; as, the jar of a train; the jar of harsh sounds.
- Clash of interest or opinions; collision; discord; debate; slight disagreement.
- A regular vibration, as of a pendulum.
- In deep well boring, a device resembling two long chain links, for connecting a percussion drill to the rod or rope which works it, so that the drill is driven down by impact and is jerked loose when jammed.
- To give forth a rudely quivering or tremulous sound; to sound harshly or discordantly; as, the notes jarred on my ears.
- To act in opposition or disagreement; to clash; to interfere; to quarrel; to dispute.
- To cause a short, tremulous motion of, to cause to tremble, as by a sudden shock or blow; to shake; to shock; as, to jar the earth; to jar one's faith.
- To tick; to beat; to mark or tell off.