Sinhala Dictionary definitions for hum
hum 🔊 /hʌˈm/
hum : මුමුව
hum : මුමුණනවා
hum : ගුමනවා
hum : ගුමුව
hum : සිහින් හඬ නඟනවා
hum : ගුමුගුමුව
- To make a low, prolonged sound, like that of a bee in flight; to drone; to murmur; to buzz; as, a top hums.
- To make a nasal sound, like that of the letter m prolonged, without opening the mouth, or articulating; to mumble in monotonous undertone; to drone.
- To make an inarticulate sound, like h'm, through the nose in the process of speaking, from embarrassment or a affectation; to hem.
- To express satisfaction by a humming noise.
- To have the sensation of a humming noise; as, my head hums, -- a pathological condition.
- To sing with shut mouth; to murmur without articulation; to mumble; as, to hum a tune.
- To express satisfaction with by humming.
- To flatter by approving; to cajole; to impose on; to humbug.
- A low monotonous noise, as of bees in flight, of a swiftly revolving top, of a wheel, or the like; a drone; a buzz.
- Any inarticulate and buzzing sound
- The confused noise of a crowd or of machinery, etc., heard at a distance; as, the hum of industry.
- A buzz or murmur, as of approbation.
- An imposition or hoax.
- An inarticulate nasal sound or murmur, like h'm, uttered by a speaker in pause from embarrassment, affectation, etc.
- A kind of strong drink formerly used.
- Ahem; hem; an inarticulate sound uttered in a pause of speech implying doubt and deliberation.