Sinhala Dictionary definitions for gum
gum 🔊 /gʌˈm/
gum : මැලියම
gum : විදුරුමහ
gum : ගල් අඟුරු සුනු
gum : ලා
gum : මැලියම්
gum : ලාටු
gum : මැලියමින් අලවනවා
gum : විදුරුමස
gum : ලහටු
- The dense tissues which invest the teeth, and cover the adjacent parts of the jaws.
- A vegetable secretion of many trees or plants that hardens when it exudes, but is soluble in water; as, gum arabic; gum tragacanth; the gum of the cherry tree. Also, with less propriety, exudations that are not soluble in water; as, gum copal and gum sandarac, which are really resins.
- See Gum tree, below.
- A hive made of a section of a hollow gum tree; hence, any roughly made hive; also, a vessel or bin made of a hollow log.
- A rubber overshoe.
- To deepen and enlarge the spaces between the teeth of (a worn saw). See Gummer.
- To smear with gum; to close with gum; to unite or stiffen by gum or a gumlike substance; to make sticky with a gumlike substance.
Intransitive verb. To exude or from gum; to become gummy.