Sinhala Dictionary definitions for gin
gin 🔊 /ʤɪˈn/
gin : ඇටවලින් වෙන් කරනවා
gin : උගුල
gin : ජම්බාරය
gin : නුව
gin : කපු කපනවා
- Against; near by; towards; as, gin night.
- A strong alcoholic liquor, distilled from rye and barley, and flavored with juniper berries; -- also called Hollands and Holland gin, because originally, and still very extensively, manufactured in Holland. Common gin is usually flavored with turpentine.
- Contrivance; artifice; a trap; a snare.
- A machine for raising or moving heavy weights, consisting of a tripod formed of poles united at the top, with a windlass, pulleys, ropes, etc.
- A hoisting drum, usually vertical; a whim.
- A machine for separating the seeds from cotton; a cotton gin.
Intransitive verb. To begin; -- often followed by an infinitive without to; as, gan tell. See Gan.
- To catch in a trap.
- To clear of seeds by a machine; as, to gin cotton.