Sinhala Dictionary definitions for fox
fox 🔊 /fɑˈks/
fox : ශඨකපට තැනැත්තා
fox : හිවලා
fox : නරියා
- A carnivorous animal of the genus Vulpes, family Canidae, of many species. The European fox (V. vulgaris or V. vulpes), the American red fox (V. fulvus), the American gray fox (V. Virginianus), and the arctic, white, or blue, fox (V. lagopus) are well-known species.
- The European dragonet.
- The fox shark or thrasher shark; -- called also sea fox. See Thrasher shark, under Shark.
- A sly, cunning fellow.
- Rope yarn twisted together, and rubbed with tar; -- used for seizings or mats.
- A sword; -- so called from the stamp of a fox on the blade, or perhaps of a wolf taken for a fox.
- A tribe of Indians which, with the Sacs, formerly occupied the region about Green Bay, Wisconsin; -- called also Outagamies.
- To intoxicate; to stupefy with drink.
- To make sour, as beer, by causing it to ferment.
- To repair the feet of, as of boots, with new front upper leather, or to piece the upper fronts of.
Intransitive verb. To turn sour; -- said of beer, etc., when it sours in fermenting.