Sinhala Dictionary definitions for for
for 🔊 /fɔˈɹ or fɚ or fɹɚ/
for : හින්දා
for : බැවින්
for : පිණිස
for : වෙනුවට
for : සඳහා
for : ගැන
for : ට
for : වස්
for : උදෙසා
for : දෙසට
for : හන්දා
for : තුළ
for : නිසා
for : අතරතුර
for : වෙනුවෙන්
for : මක්නිසාද යත්
- In the most general sense, indicating that in consideration of, in view of, or with reference to, which anything is done or takes place.
- Indicating the antecedent cause or occasion of an action; the motive or inducement accompanying and prompting to an act or state; the reason of anything; that on account of which a thing is or is done.
- Indicating the remoter and indirect object of an act; the end or final cause with reference to which anything is, acts, serves, or is done.
- Indicating that in favor of which, or in promoting which, anything is, or is done; hence, in behalf of; in favor of; on the side of; -- opposed to against.
- Indicating that toward which the action of anything is directed, or the point toward which motion is made; /ntending to go to.
- Indicating that on place of or instead of which anything acts or serves, or that to which a substitute, an equivalent, a compensation, or the like, is offered or made; instead of, or place of.
- Indicating that in the character of or as being which anything is regarded or treated; to be, or as being.
- Indicating that instead of which something else controls in the performing of an action, or that in spite of which anything is done, occurs, or is; hence, equivalent to notwithstanding, in spite of; -- generally followed by all, aught, anything, etc.
- Indicating the space or time through which an action or state extends; hence, during; in or through the space or time of.
- Indicating that in prevention of which, or through fear of which, anything is done.
- Because; by reason that; for that; indicating, in Old English, the reason of anything.
- Since; because; introducing a reason of something before advanced, a cause, motive, explanation, justification, or the like, of an action related or a statement made. It is logically nearly equivalent to since, or because, but connects less closely, and is sometimes used as a very general introduction to something suggested by what has gone before.
Noun. One who takes, or that which is said on, the affrimative side; that which is said in favor of some one or something; -- the antithesis of against, and commonly used in connection with it.