Sinhala Dictionary definitions for dog
dog 🔊 /dɔˈg/
dog : ණහවා
dog : අජුව
dog : බල්ලා
dog : කුක්කුර
dog : හාදයා
dog : පසුපස්සේ යනවා
dog : සුනඛයා
dog : බලු
dog : හනුව
dog : බල්ල
dog : කුක්කා
- A quadruped of the genus Canis, Especially. the domestic dog (C. familiaris).
- A mean, worthless fellow; a wretch.
- A fellow; -- used humorously or contemptuously; as, a sly dog; a lazy dog.
- One of the two constellations, Canis Major and Canis Minor, or the Greater Dog and the Lesser Dog. Canis Major contains the Dog Star (Sirius).
- An iron for holding wood in a fireplace; a firedog; an andiron.
- A grappling iron, with a claw or claws, for fastening into wood or other heavy articles, for the purpose of raising or moving them.
- An iron with fangs fastening a log in a saw pit, or on the carriage of a sawmill.
- A piece in machinery acting as a catch or clutch; especially, the carrier of a lathe, also, an adjustable stop to change motion, as in a machine tool.
Transitive verb. To hunt or track like a hound; to follow insidiously or indefatigably; to chase with a dog or dogs; to worry, as if by dogs; to hound with importunity.