Sinhala Dictionary definitions for bed
bed 🔊 /bɛˈd/
bed : අතුරනවා
bed : යහන
bed : මඤ්ච
bed : පාත්තිය
bed : නිදාගන්නවා
bed : සයනය
bed : රෝපණය කරනවා
bed : මැස්ස
bed : විවාහය
bed : හැඳ
bed : පත්ල
bed : තැන්පත් කරනවා
bed : මඤ්චක
bed : ශයනය
bed : නිදි කරනවා
bed : තට්ටුව
bed : ඇඳ
- An article of furniture to sleep or take rest in or on; a couch. Specifically: A sack or mattress, filled with some soft material, in distinction from the bedstead on which it is placed (as, a feather bed), or this with the bedclothes added. In a general sense, any thing or place used for sleeping or reclining on or in, as a quantity of hay, straw, leaves, or twigs.
- (Used as the symbol of matrimony) Marriage.
- A plat or level piece of ground in a garden, usually a little raised above the adjoining ground.
- A mass or heap of anything arranged like a bed; as, a bed of ashes or coals.
- The bottom of a watercourse, or of any body of water; as, the bed of a river.
- A layer or seam, or a horizontal stratum between layers; as, a bed of coal, iron, etc.
- See Gun carriage, and Mortar bed.
- The horizontal surface of a building stone; as, the upper and lower beds.
- A course of stone or brick in a wall.
- The place or material in which a block or brick is laid.
- The lower surface of a brick, slate, or tile.
- The foundation or the more solid and fixed part or framing of a machine; or a part on which something is laid or supported; as, the bed of an engine.
- The superficial earthwork, or ballast, of a railroad.
- The flat part of the press, on which the form is laid.
- To place in a bed.
- To make partaker of one's bed; to cohabit with.
- To furnish with a bed or bedding.
- To plant or arrange in beds; to set, or cover, as in a bed of soft earth; as, to bed the roots of a plant in mold.
- To lay or put in any hollow place, or place of rest and security, surrounded or inclosed; to embed; to furnish with or place upon a bed or foundation; as, to bed a stone; it was bedded on a rock.
- To dress or prepare the surface of stone) so as to serve as a bed.
- To lay flat; to lay in order; to place in a horizontal or recumbent position.
Intransitive verb. To go to bed; to cohabit.